Wednesday 1 February 2017

Terribly British Thing That I Adore

Not British by birth, but since living here from when I was a baby,  however, some British mannerisms have captured my heart.


Firstly, Downton Abbey. This is by far my favourite period drama which tells the story of both upstairs and downstairs in the Abbey. It has the historic background of the early 20th century, and the clothes: oh my goodness, I just cannot tell you how much joy they gave me.

Each of the Crawley sisters had their own unique style- Mary usually wore deep colours like red and navy, Edith was dressed in light colours like dusty pink and cream, and Sybil mostly wore blues.

This iconic drama provided the UK's screens with love, tears and history - I think I am going to have to rewatch the whole series again!










Complaining. Us Brit's love it.

Anything to rant over a hot cuppa with a fellow friend.

I am joking- I do not actually talk like that and I don't drink tea that often, ha!

But the sentiment is there- there is no other nationality who does it like us! We complain about anything and everything (mostly the most trivial things) but will probably never do anything about it. For example, if someone pushed in front of us in a queue we would complain the heck out of it (because one there is a queue, don't even get me started on the British and queue's...whole new blog post). I mean to think someone has the audacity to jump a queue....





As it is always drizzling with rain (summer vibes and all) the need for clothing protection is always necessary. The trench coat is just a classic.


If you do not know, the trench coat got its name as it was worn by British troops in World War 1 in connection with trench welfare. They are a tribute to the noble and are the chicest way to cover from the rain. A trench coat, paired with jeans, loafers and a thick scarf - it is my go to 'off-duty' look.




Afternoon tea is also a fave. Whether it is pouring with rain or blissfully sunny, it is a delight either way. There are so many different places where you can go for afternoon tea across the UK, my personal favourite is at Juliette's which is local to me (I did a blog post about the place as a whole, which can be found

Afternoon tea is a classic staple which is always a crowd pleaser, treating the mother, catching up with friends, forcing the boyfriend, etc.... so versatile!













Travelling as a student is not cheap (despite the deceiving 'student' prices), trying to get home from uni costs me quite a bit! But one part of my journey which I enjoy, maybe a bit too much is going on the Underground.

The Underground doesn't just represent a means of travel, it represents one of man's amazing achievements- it was the world's first underground railway. The Metropolitan Railway was opened in 1863.

Using it takes some getting used to but it is so quick and easy to get to when you get used to it. Around Christmas, me and my friend used the Underground all day to
get from place to place and it was quite an adventure to figure all the different routes out.

My main route is from Londo Euston to London Bridge - northbound going north, 6 stops I think.....






Thank you for reading
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment